Lijit Audience Analytics

Sunday, September 18, 2011

This Is NOT Where I Want To Be!

A few weeks ago I enjoyed a wonderful article by local pastor and spiritual leader, Dave Willis, of Stevens Creek Church here in Augusta, GA.  There, he touched upon the importance of valuing diversity, creativity, change, excellence, and, most of all, our youth.  He concluded the inspirational piece with the power of smiles.

In doing so, Dave used an analogy that really brought these points home.  He shared the magic of Disney World and why it's a place that brings us all great warmth and a feeling of belonging...


Now, I bring up Disney World and the wonderful blog post by Dave Willis to discuss how we all have those times when we say to ourselves...







This is not where I want to be! 
Sure, we all have moments like that.  When things get rough, we look forward to better times and better places.  We want to go to Disney World or some place like it to just escape.


I was reminded of this last week when I spoke with a Wal-Mart employee here in the CSRA (Central Savannah River Area).  The guy had some interesting talents that he shared with me.  He had a rare craft that you would think would make him a sustainable income, yet he was "stuck" at Wal-Mart.

Well, I think everyone feels stuck sometimes.  We're not exactly where we want to be, no matter how good we really have it.  We focus on the joy to come rather than stopping to appreciate what we have right now. 
We fail to live a life of contentment.
Surely we have to push for better things in our lives, reaching for a greater purpose or calling, but are our lives THAT bad right now?  Just think about the people who have it worse than we do.  That should be humbling.

Dave Willis wrote about how churches can re-create the magic of Disney World every day but the call to action there is not just for churches.  Churches are communities.  They are the collective of everyday people united by a vision or mission.

Thus, if we remember we are not alone and reach out to others, we'll find that there are others experiencing the same struggles or working towards the same dreams.  That realization should empower us all - unite with others and find strength in those bonds!

My life is far from perfect so I can relate to any of you that may feel lost, stuck, or desperate.  That despair will pass, I promise.  Maybe you can relate to the feeling of... 
  • living check by check
  • wondering if all the bills will be paid
  • hoping your relationship gets better
  • wishing you could find a (better) job
  • doubting yourself, your worth, and your abilities
People do not often speak of these things because failure and flaws are taboo topics.  I assure you that there is someone you know right now going through the very same troubles.

My call to action here is for you to reach out to someone and let them know that you are there for them.  Life can always be better but, certainly, it can always get worse.  When we create strong bonds, our allies will help us pull out of those mental ruts..  and we can return the love. 
Don't want to be where you are now?
Well, we're glad you are here now..  And that you took the time out to read this blog.  Hopefully, you find some strength in these whole-hearted words.

These are tough times, believe me, I know.  I believe you can make it.  Believe that you can.  Have faith. 

I am not urging you to be religious but, rather, believe in powers beyond our human understanding.  Something better awaits you but, right now, enjoy what you have.  Make the most of it.

Never miss a moment.

If you wait for better days, the good times you are having or could have now may simply pass you by.  As Jim Rohn would say, life has seasons so maybe this is your season to reflect, dig deep within your soul, and make the most of now.

I highly recommend this book if you need a little uplifting...

Jim Rohn, "The Seasons of Life" 

7 comments:

Lynn Brown said...

Thank you for such an inspirational and moving thoughts that made me take a moment, reflect and think about where I am, where I want to be and what it will take to get there.

It is ok that we get stuck every now and then, just knowing there are so many people like you that understand is what we all need when we are battling our innerself. "Make the most of now" is an awesome statement!

Unknown said...

Yes, getting stuck and experiencing pain is part of the ebb and flow of life.. We all go through different seasons but we're not alone and that should empower us. Sometimes, it's as simple as speaking openly about our challenges and trusting in those that care to just listen. We're not meant to go through life alone or in hiding. In fact, they just mentioned that today in church.. It's like they were reading my mind. Amazing!

Thanks for the wonderful thoughts, Lynn.. I hope you join us more often to reflect, inspire, and support each other. 8)

Anonymous said...

You're on to something here, Yomar. And I am so glad to see you thinking and writing about the things that matter most. Awesome, my brother! Awesome!

I wanted to share with you an insight I have about that feeling of you wanting to be somewhere else - where the grass is greener. Most of the time when we feel that where we are now sucks, where we are doesn't suck like we think it does. In this moment, in fact, it may not suck like you think it does.

Maybe you are drinking your favorite beverage, you're reading a comment to your blog post (someone is interacting with you), and you're thinking also about the next blog post you're going to write and share with the world. It's actually not a bad moment. This moment is amazing in many ways.

Maybe you are a few days late on paying your bills. Maybe, the electric company is going to shut off the power in a few days. Maybe, you don't have client work this week and you don't know how you're going to pay those unpaid bills.

But that doesn't change this moment. It's still amazing. And, in fact, the sum total of most of our moments are amazing. Because if they were not, we would have gone mad a long, long time ago.

Stan

Something from my blog that may be relevant: The Economics of Being and Joy http://wp.me/pbg0R-nf

Anonymous said...

P.S. You can now add Commentluv to your blogger. Why wait? See my stumbles for the blog post about how to do it.

Unknown said...

Exactly, bro.. I also noticed we were thinking the same thoughts, even though we have not been brainstorming together. Pretty neat how that works out, eh?

I'm working out some kinks with CommentLuv. It will likely work going forward.. On the new posts. Otherwise, I'll have to hack up some more CSS and scripts.. Which I really should not distract myself with right now. ;o)

Kirsten Weiss said...

This reminds me of a sermon I heard as a child that stuck with me: bloom where you are planted. It's not always easy to do, but thanks for the reminder!

DeeoneH said...

Thanks for sharing this with me Yomar! This was right on time for me this morning. I will remember today that I could be so much worse off than I am. And that this is simply a season that will pass. Thanks for sharing. :)

Post a Comment